Thursday 12 August 2010

Wedding cake

I spent a lot of time planning my wedding and envisaging what things would be like... I did lots myself.. the invitations, the bridesmaids' corsages, programs etc. By far the biggest feat was making my own wedding cake in Guernsey (where I live in a hotel) and transporting it to Tel Aviv.

Why did I undertake such a crazy task? We got married in Israel where wedding cakes are not the norm and very expensive. We had 8 desserts at our wedding - it didn't seem strictly necessary to also have a cake. But also I was inspired by smitten kitchen, where Deb made her friend's wedding. Did I think about how, as a bride, it wouldn't be fun transporting my own cake across countries far and wide, icing it the day before the wedding, decorating it just hours before? No I did not! It was stressful and difficult, but totally crazy and I'm so proud of it!

We only got round to cutting it at the end of the night, it was unannounced, we didn't think anyone would notice. It was more for a photo opportunity. But people crowded round and ate - it was such a fun, surprising and intimate moment! One of my favourite parts of our day.

I loved our cake and I am so glad we had one in the end. Aletha of Pearls Events wedding planning asked in her blog whether wedding cakes are now a thing of the past. Who knows, but I think there will always be something special and intimate about cutting a wedding cake. I can't wait to pass the story of our cake down generations!







10 comments:

Pearl said...

your wedding cake was absolutely beautiful. i'm not surprised that you decorated it - it's classic and modern and elegant, just like you.

Esme said...

I am beyond impressed that you made this. I cannot believe that you transported it and decorated it the day before your wedding-The cake is gorgeous-what flavor was it?

Anonymous said...

Hey! Nice to see you back. Your wedding photos are stunning! And well done on the cake.
Em.

TheCakeTop said...

Congrats on a wonderful cake design! I plan a lot of events, and am always encouraging brides who really want to make their own wedding cake to just GO FOR IT. You really pulled it off. Congrats!

christine said...

This is awesome wedding cake! I agree with pearl, this cake is like you. If you wont mind I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your post. Just add the foodista widget to the end of this post so it will appear in the Foodista pages and it's all set, Thanks!

emlizalmo said...

Uh...yum. That is a gorgeous, simple, elegant cake. I would have loved one so beautiful, though I wouldn't have loved making it myself. :) Way to go!

Vanessa said...

Thanks so much everyone! It was a fruit cake! :)

buy wow account said...

WoW! the wedding cake is absolutely brilliant. =)

Altenpflege said...

Great! such an awesome cake.=D

thebuddinggourmet said...

nice pics & wedding cake :)