Tuesday 19 May 2009

Being back

It was such a good rest! Such good time spent with Dad and Eddie and by the pool. I read four books. I had 'forgotten' how much I love reading, how good it feels to have time.
It may be over but I am happy!

You know that feeling when you get back from holiday and launch into a routine so quickly that it seems as though you never really went? Normally I get that but this time everything was so vivid that I don't feelas though it never happened. I can summon the images and the feeling of being there, even from a glass office block far removed from the smells and fumes of Bangkok.

My first day back at work has been stressful. I got in very early to sort through my emails and I couldn't go for lunch until 3.30. I'm the one who gets lunch at 12 normally! Emails, calls, no time to do things, didn't have a moment to answer Lizzie's email (sorry, Liz).

But, the day is over. I may still be at work but when you are alone in the office you feel that the day is over. You can do things at your own pace. When I worry about going into work, when I ascend the escalators in the tube with dread, I am comforted by the thought that, like everything, the day will end.

Now it's 9.22. I know I should stay, file some emails, prepare for tomorrow. But what I really want to do is go home. Go home, make some herbal tea in my new Bangkok Starbucks mug and cosy up in bed. Which shall it be?

5 comments:

pp65468 said...

Hi Vanessa,

I was a bit sad to read your entry. I know it's rough for you, but I feel you really should not have to back to work and dread it. I don't have your experience so I want to be careful - let me just say that you have all reason to be proud of yourself for having really a flawless career with tons of options in the future. I know it's probably not a great consolation - just a try.

Hugs and welcome back in the world's greatest city :)

Paul

Katie said...

I hope you went home...

Pearl said...

I hope you went home, Vanessa. You deserve a break.

Vanessa said...

I went home :)

Anonymous said...

Hey, glad you're back! I mean, for us. Sucks for you.
Ah well, the only good thing about coming home from holidays is you can start planning next year's.