Monday 4 May 2009

Dark chocolate-espresso cookies

These cookies are something I came up with in France when I wanted to make cookie bags for colleagues. They are a very dark chocolate biscuit, for real dark chocolate lovers (70% +). In my opinion there is a time for retro sweets, cupcakes with sweet frosting, cake pops, and there is a time when only a true dark chocolate fix will do. These are for those times.

Tomorrow night I will be having dinner with Ryan, Gavin and Mauritz. After dinner we will go to Ryan and Mauritz's new flat on Finchley Road, sip some wine and chatter. Now, Gavin and Mauritz appreciate the finer things in life, and when I was last over they treated me to some beautiful dark chocolate. I wanted to give them something to celebrate the move, and these popped into my mind. They are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, and brimming with an intense chocolate flavour. They are just the thing.

Recipe

200g dark coffee chocolate, melted (Lindt - or if not then add 4tbsp instant coffee)
125g unsalted butter
185g soft brown sugar
1 egg
185g flour
40g unsweetened cocoa powder

Preheat oven to 250 degrees F (180 C). Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.

1. Cream butter and sugar until fluffy with electric mixer
2. add egg and beat until just combined
3. add melted chocolate
4. Sift in flour and cocoa, mi with mixer for 5 minutes
5. shape dough into 1 1/4 inch rounds. (you can flatten these, but I prefer them ball shaped)
6. Bake for 6-7 minutes
7. Do not move immediately as they will most likely fall apart - wait a minute or two before transferring to wire rack.
8. Drizzle with chocolate icing and/just with icing sugar for an extra touch of sweetness (optional).




3 comments:

Pearl said...

oh they look exquisite.
one day, vanessa, you and i will bake those TOGETHER. :)

Vanessa said...

Oh, I would LOVE that, Pearl! Can't wait! xx

Anonymous said...

These look absolutely delicious! I am going to try them this week!