Tuesday 12 January 2010

Apple muffins with cinnamon butter

I actually made these beauties ages ago, to bring to Audrey when I visited her, and I never got round to blogging about them. They were seriously yummy! But if you are looking for very sweet muffins then these aren't for you. Their essence is that of a breakfast food. At least in the UK, muffins have become too sickly for my liking. Sickly and dry. These are not very sweet and have a lovely apple-vanilla aroma, together with a moist texture. Without the butter these are very light and a nice start to the day, one that does not feel too over-indulgent but remains a small treat. With the butter? Heaven.

from Susannah Blake's Book, Muffin Magic

Ingredients

2 cups self raising flour
1/2 tsp bicarbinate of soda
1tsp ground cinnamon
2 eggs, beaten
1/3 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup soft brown sugar
6 tpsp sunflower oil
2 apples, peeled, cored and finely diced

For the cinnamon butter

115g butter at room temperature
1/3 cup sifted icing sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon

Instructions

Preheat oven to 200c or 400f.

Combine flour, bicarb and cinnamon and sift into a large bowl

In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, yogurt, milk, brown sugar and oil, then stir in the apples. Pour the mixture into the dry ingredients and stir together until just combined, then spoon big dollops of the mixture into the prepared muffin pan.

Bake for about 20 mins or until risen and golden. Leave to cool in a pan for a few minutes and then tranfer to a rack to cool.

Meanwhile sift together the butter, icing sugar and cinnamon. Serve the muffins warm, with cinnamon butter for spreading.


3 comments:

Nadia said...

Yummy! Those muffins look delicious. I love making muffins - they are the best breakfast/brunch food to eat! And I agree that the muffins in the UK are bit too sweet for my tastes, too. I want to taste the flavors, not be overloaded by the sugar. :)

Anonymous said...

God, I wish I could cook. Then I might not be eating popcorn for lunch. Seriously.

Meredith said...

These are making me so hungry. Do you have to use full fat yogurt or can you use low fat?