Sunday 10 January 2010

LASIK/contact lenses


So finally I have to get vain and ditch the glasses, something I've been reluctant to do over the years. My eye sight has become progressively worse, through university, law school and long hours on the computer. Nowadays I am well below the driving standard. I feel disorientated when walking around, I can't read street names, in shops the shelves are overwhelming, on the underground I can't read the signs that tell me where the train is going. In short, I feel debilitated.

On my wedding day, when I will need to recognise so many people, it is out of the question to not have any sight assistance of some description. It would ruin my day. But I can't wear my glasses. I just don't think it looks good. And I have always resisted contacts because I hate the idea of putting anything in my eyes. I don't want the maintenance. I don't find the idea particularly hygienic.

So off I went to a LASIK appointment. They spent hours testing me for this and that... and concluded that I'm suitable. I was totally sold. I would love not to fumble for my glasses in the morning, to have the freedom of perfect sight. But - and it's a big but - the cost for both eyes is £4,500, about $7,500. I just don't have that sort of money to spare right now. I'm disappointed, but now is not the time for non-essential expenses. And try though I might to convince myself that this is essential, it isn't. Many people wear contacts and there is no reason why I shouldn't be one of them.

So next week I'll go to the optician and have a contact lens appointment. I would like to get disposable lenses, so that I can wear them only on special occasions. Day to day I'm more comfortable with glasses. Fingers crossed it won't be as bad as I fear. Do any of you have contact lens recommendations for me? If so please pass them along!

4 comments:

pp65468 said...

It really depends on how the respective contacts sit in your eye, therefore you can't really "recommend" contacts to someone (this is also why it's not a good idea to just order some on the web. Opticians can properly evaluate this). Traditionally, the less thin the lenses the less they will dehydrate your eyes (the frequent "dry eyes" phenomenon of contact lense wearers); however, you may "feel" them more (depends on the person. You just gotta try it out.

Esme said...

Vanessa-I have worn contacts for almost 26 years now-I am as blind as a bat-It took me awhile to play with the right lens and the right solutions-some solutions can make a difference also-there are days when I am somewhere really dry-on a plane-Arizona or a super windy day-that they drive me batty-but I love them given I always have my glasses or contacts in-just always carry drops for those moments. It is a matter of finding what is right for you. $7500 sounds high for lasik-I think it is almost half that in the US-but I am petrified to do it.

Meredith said...

I wouldn't do Lasik. My dad said they don't know the long term effects of it and if you have a problem with it, it can be really debilitating. I've been wearing contacts since I was 13 with no problems! Plus, chances are that you will need glasses again when you get older as most people become farsighted as they age (even if they had perfect vision all their lives). I don't think that you can then necessarily have the surgery redone.

emlizalmo said...

I would love Lasik. To be able to rub my eyes when I'm sleepy, see the clock in the middle of the night, open my eyes underwater, etc. I don't know that we'll EVER be able to afford it. That being said, contacts are pretty fantastic. They don't feel wierd...as a matter of fact, they don't "feel" at all. At least mine don't. I've gotten so used to them, I can put them in without a mirror. AND, I can see better with them than with my glasses. Something about the corrective lenses being closer to my eye, I would imagine. You will be beautiful either way. :)