Monday 7 December 2009

A room of one's own

I haven't been doing much on the wedding front lately, I suppose because there have been other more pressing things to get on with. Like interviews (which thus far haven't yielded anything - and that's getting me down) and appointments for Dad. But I'm looking forward to getting back into it - I have missed my crafts! The thing that's irritating me a bit right now is that they are taking up the house. I try to keep them compact, but it's very difficult.

Virginia Woolf wrote 'A Room of One's Own' to say that 'a woman must have... a room of her own if she is to write fiction'. She argued that a woman also needs personal freedom to create. Her arguments are deeper than mine, and more analytical, but suffice to say that I could not agree more. A space of one's own is a precious thing. Removed from the demands and distractions of everyday life, one is able to reflect and simply 'get on with' the task at hand. In a room of one's own one can think freely. And, not unimportantly, one can consolidate all the craft stuff spilling all over the house.

I long for the day when I have my very own craft room: a place in which I can organise all my goodies, that I can decorate to my taste and to which I can retreat when I need time to just think and be and create. How heavenly it will be!

Have any of you seen the book 'Where women create'?




It's a gorgeous book about the ways in which different women have organised their craft spaces. Very inspiring. Here are some that I like. Where do you create/read/retreat?


2 comments:

emlizalmo said...

Aaaaaahhhhh...some day...in the VERY distant future. A room like that...it would make me breathe easier. :)

Anonymous said...

Please Vote for Jordan Kasteler on the Top 100 Most Influential Internet Marketer

To vote, please follow this link: http://www.invesp.com/2009/top-100-marketers-of-2009.html

Jordan Kasteler is a seasoned professional and an SEO consultant specializing in Search Engine Optimization (SEO), Social Media Marketing, and all aspects of Internet Marketing.

To learn more about him, you can visit his blog at : http://www.jordankasteler.com/utah-seo-pro-blog/

You can vote for him daily. Voting ends on 12/13/09 midnight.

Thank you