Monday 1 December 2008

Chicken Noodle Soup (minus the noodles)

I don't normally blog about what I cooked for dinner, but tonight I just had to. Yesterday I read Heather's blog, in which she wrote about having made chicken noodle soup. Well, I saw this and I just had the most insane craving for it. In fact, I actually dreamt about it last night! Isn't that crazy?

All day today I have been looking forward to going home and making clear soup. I will say that I deviated from Heather's recipe somewhat: I like my soups full of stuff, notably fresh vegatables. It is frustrating that in France (at least where I live) you can't get the ethnic ingredients that to my mind make a clear soup wondrous: lemongrass, basil, chillies. So my soup was perhaps more muted than what I might concoct in London, but I can tell you that it really hit the spot. Light, guilt-free and so healthy. Of course you can tinker with the ingredients to taste, and if you do add some lemongrass and chilli, you could also add some coconut milk for a creamier Thai flavour.

Here's the recipe how I made it tonight. Thanks for the inspiration, Heather.

1 onion
as much garlic as you can bear to cut
a handful of ginger
5 cubes of Telma stock
2 large chicken fillets (skinless)
1 large chilli (mine had no kick, unfortunately)
mushrooms (I like a lot)
mangetout/green beens/ any other vegetable you like (I like crunch in my soup)
1-2 tablespoons of soy sauce

1. boil water and add stock
2. chop garlic and onion and add to water. roughy chop ginger and add.
3. add chicken to water (whole)
4. add soy sauce to taste
5. simmer for 20 mins
6. remove chicken and cut to bitesize pieces, put back in pan
7. add vegetables and chilli to pan
8. Leave to simmer for about 10 mins

1 comments:

emlizalmo said...

Vanessa...thank you so much for your kind comments on my blog. They make me so happy. And just so you know...dreaming about food...been there, done that. :) This soup looks fantastic!