By now rather empty dessert array, but you can imagine:
I thought differently though, and arranged something 'on the sly'. I had my secretary order up some champagne and I said I would deal with the food. I literally got about 3 hours sleep the night before because I was still making all those petits fours - 80 of them though I only had a 15 piece pan! I made gruyere and mushroom and spinach, smoken salmon and goat's cheese petits fours. I also made ginger cake with cranberries and a white chocolate and raspberry cake.
White chocolate and raspberry cake
4 tablespoons of baking powder
pinch of salt
400g brown sugar
500 ml milk
300g white chocolate
4 lightly beaten eggs
500g frozen raspberries, thawed
fresh raspberries to decorate
1. preheat oven to 160 degrees c. and butter your cake pans.
2. in a bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt
3. in a saucepan mix the chocolate, brown sugar, honey and heat on a genle flame. Mix until you have an even consistency
4. leave this to cool and then add the eggs and the flour mixture and mix
5. divide mixture into two pans and put in oven for about an hour or until a knife comes out clean.
100ml creme fraiche
300g milk chocolate
1. Put creme fraiche into saucepan and heat to a simmer. Add the chocolate and mix until mixture is smooth.
2. Place in fridge for 30 minutes and decorate cake.
1. Thinly coat uneven side of each cake with butter and leftover icing, then place 500g of raspberries on the bottom cake
2. Put second cake on raspeberry coloured cake and decorate to taste.
Here are some pictures of the day: